The Pursuit of Happyness

The Pursuit of Happyness
The Pursuit of Happyness

The Pursuit Of Happyness 中英文剧本

-Chris: Time to get up, man.

get up: 起床

该起床了。

-Christopher: All right, dad.

好的,老爸。

-Chris: Come on.

快点。

-Christopher: Should be here soon. I think I should make a list.

list: 名单

马上来了,我想我该列个表。

-Chris: What do mean? For your birthday gifts?

干嘛?想要的生日礼物?

-Christopher: Yeah.

对呀。

-Chris: You know you're only getting a couple of things, right?

a couple of: 几个

你知道只能要几个礼物,对吧?

-Christopher: Yeah, I know. Just to look at and study so I can choose better.

知道啊,我只想列出来看看,研究一下,好好选选。

-Chris: Okay, well, that's smart. Yeah, make a list. Can you spell everything you're thinking of? smart: 聪明的spell: 拼写

哦,很聪明,那就列吧,想要的礼物你都会写吗?

-Christopher: I think so.

应该吧。

-Chris: All right. That's good. How you doing in here, man?

哦,很好。小伙子,你还好吧?

-Christopher: Okay. Can we go to the park today, after?

还好,我们今天能去公园吗…在上完幼儿园后?

-Chris: No, I gotta go to Oakland. Well, maybe, we'll see. Give me a kiss. I'll talk to you later. 呃…我还得去Oakland,或许…再说吧,亲亲。晚点再说。

Excuse me. Oh, excuse me...when is somebody gonna clean this off? And the Y? The Y. We talked about this.

借过,对不起…呃…什么时候会找人清洗一下?我提过的,幸福的“幸”写错了。

It's an I in "happiness." There's no Y in "happiness." It's an I.

happiness: 幸福

这里写成了辛苦的“辛”。

I'm Chris Gardner. I met my father for the first time when I was 28 years old.

我是Chris Gardner,我第一次见到我父亲时,已经28岁了。

And I made up my mind as a young kid...that when I had children... my children were gonna know who their father was.

我儿时就决定,将来我有了孩子,我的孩子一定得知道他们的父亲是谁。

This is part of my life story. This part is called "Riding the Bus."

这里讲述的是我人生故事的一部分,这部分叫做…“搭公车”。

-Man: What's that? It's a time machine, isn't it? Seems like a time machine.

那是什么?是架时光机,对吧?看起来是时光机。

That seems like a time machine. It's a time machine. Take me with you.

像是时光机,是时光机,能带上我吗?

-Chris: This machine...this machine on my lap...

lap: 膝盖

这仪器…我膝盖上的这台仪器

-Man: This guy, he has a time machine. He travels in the past with this machine and...

这伙计,他有架时光机。他…他…他…用时光机穿梭到过去。

-Chris: It is not a time machine. It' a portable bone-density scanner. A medical device I sell for a living.

portable: 手提式的bone: 骨骼density: 密度scanner: 扫描机device: 设备for a living: 为…谋生,为了生存

这不是…时光机,而是手提式骨质密度扫描仪。是医疗器材,我就靠卖这个过活。

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss it with you. I appreciate it.

opportunity: 机会discuss: 讨论appreciate: 感激

谢谢您给我这个机会,向您推介这仪器,我不胜感激。

-Doctor: We just don't need it, Chris.

我们真的不需要,Chris。

It's unnecessary and expensive.

unnecessary: 不必要的

没多大用处而且还很贵。

-Chris: Well, maybe next...

哦,或许下次…

-Doctor: Thank you.

谢谢。

-Chris: It gave a slightly denser picture than an x-ray for twice the money.

slightly: 些微的dense: 密集的x-ray: X射线

它比X光机显像更精确一点点,但却贵了一倍。

-Linda: Hey.

嘿。

-Chris: Hey, baby.

嘿,宝贝。

-Linda: what happened?

怎么啦?

-Chris: No, nothing. Look, I can't get Christopher today.

没…没事儿,只是…我今天不能去接儿子。

-Linda: Oh, no, you don't, Chris. I'm back on at 7.

你得去,我七点还要上班。

-Chris: I know. I have got to go to Oakland.

我知道,但我一定要去Oakland。

-Linda: So I gotta get Christopher home, feed him, bathe him...get him in bed, and be back here by 7?

feed: 喂bathe: 沐浴

所以我得先接他回家,做饭,给他洗澡…哄他睡觉,然后七点前回到这儿?

-Chris: Yes.

对。

-Linda: And we got the tax-bill notice today. What are you gonna do about that?

tax: 税bill: 账单notice: 通知

今天收到了税单,你说怎么办?

-Chris: Look, this is what we gotta do. You see that car? The one with the pretty yellow shoe on it? 听着,就这么办。看到那车了吗?那辆穿着漂亮黄鞋子的车。

That' mine. There' no parking near hospitals. That' what happens when you're always in a rush. parking: 停车rush: 匆促

那是我的车,医院附近不准停车,赶时间的结果就是这样。

Thanks anyway. Very much. Maybe next quarter.

quarter: 一季度

还是非常谢谢你,或许下个季度。

-Doctor: It's possible.

可能哦。

-Chris: I needed to sell at least two scanners a month for rent and daycar

e.

at least: 至少scanner: 扫描仪rent: 租金daycare: 日间照管儿童

我每个月至少得卖两台,才够付房租和幼儿园费。

I'd have to sell one more...to pay off all of those tickets under my windshield wiper. The problem is...I haven't sold any for a while.

windshield: 挡风玻璃wiper: 刷

还得再卖一台…才够付车窗上的那些罚单,问题是…我很久没卖出一台了。

Since when do you not like macaroni and cheese?

macaroni: 通心粉cheese: 乳酪

你什么时候开始不喜欢通心粉加奶酪的?

-Linda: Since birth?

从…我出生开始?

-Chris: What’s that?

这是什么?

-Linda: What?

呃?

-Chris: What is this?

这是什么东西?

-Linda: It's a gift for Christopher.

Christopher的礼物。

-Chris: From whom?

谁给的?

-Linda: Cynthia From work. It's for adults. Chris can't use it. She didn't know.

我同事Cynthia,她不知道这是给大人玩的,Christopher还小。

-Chris: What are you supposed to do with it?

supposed: 假定

要怎么玩?

-Linda: Make every side the same color. Did you pay the taxes?

taxes: 赋税

把每一面都弄成同一颜色。你付税了吗?

-Chris: No, I'm gonna have to file an extension.

file: 提出(申请) extension: 放宽的期限

没,我要申请延后缴。

-Linda: You already filed an extension.

你已经申请过延期了。

-Chris: Yeah, well, I gotta file another one. That's... It's $650. I'll have it in the next month.

是,我还要再延期一次。一共是640美元,我下个月就有了。

-Linda: That means interest, right? And a penalty?

interest: 利息penalty: 处罚

是加上利息,还有罚金的总额吧。

-Chris: Yeah, a little bit. Look, why don't you let me do this? All right, just relax. Okay? Come here. Calm down.

calm down: 平静下来

嗯,不是很多啦。让我处理就好,你就别操心了,好吗?来,别烦了。

-Linda: I have to go back to work.

我得回去工作了。

-Chris: Let's get ready for bed. Hey, put your plate in the sink.

sink: 污水槽

准备上床了,嗨,把盘子放水池里去。

-TV: “A few days ago I was presented with a report I'd asked for...”

present: 提出

“几天前他们递交了一份我要求的…”

“...a comprehensive audit, if you will, of our economic condition.”

comprehensive: 全面的audit: 审计economic: 经济的condition: 情况

“全面的经济现况评估报告。”

“You won't like it. I didn't like it.”

“你们不会喜欢的,我也不喜欢。”

“But we have to face the truth...”

“但我们必须面对现实……”

“...and then go to work to turn things around.”

“然后去努力扭转情势。”

“And make no mistake about it, we can turn them around.”

“决不能犯错,我们一定能做到。”

“The federal budget is out of control.”

federal: 联邦(制)的

“联邦预算已经失去控制。”

“And we face runaway deficits of almost $80 billion...”

runaway: 失控deficit: 赤字

“今年9月30日结束的预算年度……”

“...for this budget year that ends September 30th.”

budget: 预算

“我们将有高达800亿的赤字。”

“That deficit is larger than the entire federal budget in 1957.”

entire: 全部的

“这个赤字比1957年整年联邦预算还高。”

“And so is the almost $80 billion...”

“今年还得支付这800亿…”

“...we will pay in interest this year on the national debt.”

debt: 债务

“…衍生的利息国债。”

“Twenty years ago, in 1960...”

“20年前,1960年。”

“...our federal government payroll was less than $ 13 billion.”

payroll: 工资单

“联邦政府的总薪资支出不到130亿。”

“Today it is 75 billion.”

“而如今则是750亿。”

“During these 20 years, our population has only increased by 23.3 percent...”

population: 人口increased: 增加percent: 百分之

“20年来人口才增长了23.3%…”

-Chris: Man, I got two questions for you: What do you do? And how do you do it?

哇,老兄,请教你两个问题:你是干什么?你是怎么干的?

-Man: I'm a stockbroker.

stockbroker: 股票经纪人

我是股票经纪人。

-Chris: Stockbroker. Oh, goodness. Had to go to college to be a stockbroker, huh? goodness: 天啊

股票经纪人,哦,天哪。得上大学才能做股票经纪人,对吧?

-Man: You don't have to. Have to be good with numbers and good with people. That's it.

不用,只需要精通数字,会做人处世。就这么简单。

-Chris: Hey, you take care. I'll let you hang on to my car for the weekend. But I need it back for Monday.

嘿,保重。周末我这车就借你了,不过星期一得还我哦。

-Man: Feed the meter.

meter: 邮资费

付停车费去吧。

-Chris: I still remember that moment. They all looked so damn happy to me. Why couldn't I look like that?

我还记得那一刻,他们全都看起来超幸福的样子,为什么我不能也满脸幸福?

I'm gonna try to get home by 6. I'm gonna stop by a brokerage firm after work. brokerage: 经纪人

firm: 商行

我尽量在六点前回来,下班后要去一下证券行。

-Linda: For what?

干嘛?

-Chris: I wanna see about a job there.

看看那里有没有工作。

-Linda: Yeah? What job?

哦,什么样的工作?

-Chris: You know, when l... When I was a kid, I could go through a math book in a week.

go through: 通过

你知道,我…我小时候,一星期就能把算数课本念完。

So I'm gonna go see about what job they got down there.

所以我想去看看,有什么工作可做。

-Linda: What job?

什么工作?

-Chris: Stockbroker.

股票经纪人。

-Linda: Stockbroker?

股票经纪人?

-Chris: Yeah.

嗯。

-Linda: Not an astronaut?

astronaut: 宇航员

不是宇航员?

-Chris: Don't talk to me like that, Linda. I'm gonna go down and see about this, and I'm gonna do it during the day.

别用这种口气对我说话,Linda。我去看看情况,利用白天的时间。

-Linda: You should probably do your sales calls.

probably: 大概

嗯,你该打电话推销才对。

-Chris: I don't need you to tell me about my sales calls, Linda. I got three of them before the damn office is even open.

damn: 该死的

还要你来告诉我,Linda,在办公室开门前,我就打了三通电话了。

-Linda: Do you remember that rent is due next week? Probably not. We're already two months behind.

还记得下星期就要付房租吗?大概不记得了吧?我们已经两个月没付。

Next week we'll owe three months. I've been pulling double shifts for four months now, Chris. shift: 接班

下星期就欠三个月了,我已经上双份班四个月了!

Just sell what's in your contract. Get us out of that business.

contract: 合约business: 交易

就…赶快把合约规定的数额卖完,咱们好脱身吧。

-Chris: Linda that is what I am trying to do. This is what I'm trying to do for my family...for you and for Christopher.

Linda,我不是正努力那么做嘛!努力来改善这个家,为你,为儿子。

-Linda: What's the matter with you?

你到底是怎么了?

-Chris: Linda. Linda.

Linda,Linda。

DEAN WITTER REYNOLDS BROKER TRAINEE PROGRAM

APPPLICATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED

[迪安.维特.雷诺斯公司,经纪人实习培训] 现在接受申请。

This part of my life is called "Being Stupid.”Can I ask you a favor, miss?

我人生的这部分叫做…“冒傻气”能帮个忙吗,小姐?

Do you mind if I leave this here with you just for five minutes?

帮我看下这个行吗,就5分钟。

I have a meeting in there and I don't wanna

carry that...Looking smalltime.

smalltime: 不重要的

我在那儿有个会,带这个进去看上去很不正式。

Here is a dollar and I'll give you more money when I come back out. Okay? It's not valuable. You can't sell it anywhere.

valuable: 有价值的

先给你1块钱,一会我出来再多给你点。好吗?这玩意不值钱,你也卖不出去。

I can't even sell it, and it's my job. All right?

我是干这个的都卖不掉,好吗?

-Tim: Chris? Tim Brophy, Resources.

resources: 资源

Chris吗?我是Tim Brophy,人事部的。

-Chris: Yes. How are you?

是我,你好吗?

-Tim: Come with me.

跟我来。

-Chris: Yes, sir.

好的,先生。

-Tim: Let me see if I can find you an application for our internship.

application: 申请internship: 实习生身份

我看看能不能帮你找份实习申请表,

I'm afraid that's all we can do for you. See, this is a satellite office. Jay Twistle in the main office, he oversees Witter Resources.

satellite: 从属企业oversee: 监督

我能做的也只有这个了,这里只是分公司,总部的Jay Twistle是全面负责人事工作的。

I mean, I'm... You know, I'm just this office. As you can see, we got a hell of lot of applications here, so...

我的意思是,我只负责这里,你看,已经有一大堆人申请了…所以…

Normally I have a resume sheet, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. We...

normally: 正常地resume: 个人简历,摘要

我这应该还有履历表的,但是现在找不到了。我们…

-Chris: Thank you very much. I need to go. I'll bring this back. Thank you.

非常感谢,我得走了,我…我…我会把这个交过来的。谢谢。

-Tim: Okay.

好的。

-Chris: Trusting a hippie girl with my scanner. Why did I do that?

hippie: 嬉皮

把扫描仪托付给一个嬉皮女孩?为什么我会这么做?

Excuse me. Excuse me. Like I said, this part of my life is called "Being Stupid." Hey! Hey! Hey! Don't move! Don't move! Stay...!

借过,借过,就像我刚说的,我人生的这部分叫做“冒傻气”嘿,嘿!别动!呆着别,别…

Stop! Stop! Don't move! Stop this...! Stop the train! Stop! Stop!

停下!停下!别走!停下!停下这地铁!停!停下来!

The program took just 20 people every six months. One got the job.

program: 项目

这个培训每半年才招20人,最后只有1人受雇。

There were three blank lines after "high school" to list more education. I didn't need that many lines.

申请表上“高中”之后还有3行线,用来填写接受过的其他教育。对我来说,根本就是多余。

-Linda: Tr

y and sleep. It's late.

快睡觉,不早了。

-TV: “It' a puzzle measuring just 3 inches by 3 inches on each side...”

puzzle: 难题measuring: 尺寸inch: 英尺

“这种魔方每面都是3英寸x3英寸。”

“...made up of multiple colors that you twist and turn...”

multiple: 多样的twist: 扭曲

“由多种颜色组成,玩法就是通过旋转……”

“...and try to get to a solid color on each side.”

solid: 完全一致的

“最终使每面呈现同一颜色。”

“This little cube is the gift sensation of 1981.”

sensation: 轰动事件

“这小玩意是1981年的送礼佳品。”

“Don't expect to solve it easily.”

“但是想把它玩好可没那么容易。”

“Although we did encounter one math professor at USF...”

encounter: 偶然碰到

“尽管我们确实碰到一位旧金山大学的数学教授……”

“...who took just 30 minutes on his?”

“只花了30分钟就拼好。”

“This is as far as I've gotten on mine.”

“这个是我尽最大努力拼的了。”

“As you can see, I still have a long way to go.”

“大家可以看到,离完成还早着呢。”

“This is Jim Finnerty reporting for KJSF in Richmond.”

“这里是Jim Finnerty 从KJSF Richmond.发回的报道。”

-Chris: Hey, wake up. Eat.

嘿,醒醒,快吃。

-Christopher: Bye, mom.

妈,再见。

-Linda: Bye, baby. Come back without that, please.

再见,宝贝。那玩意儿卖了再回来。

-Chris: Oh, yeah, I'm going to. So go ahead, say goodbye to it, because I'm coming back without it.

噢,我正有此意。快点和它道个别,回来可就看不到它了。

-Linda: Goodbye and good riddance.

riddance: 摆脱

再见,“可喜的摆脱”。

-Chris: You aren’t had to add the "good riddance" part.

后面那部分没必要说的。

-Christopher: Bye, Mom.

再见,妈妈!

-Linda: Bye.

再见。

-Chris: It's written as P-P-Y, but it's supposed to be an “I”in "happiness."

那里写的是“辛”但是实际上应该是“幸”。

-Christopher: Is it an adjective?

adjective: 形容词

是形容词吗?

-Chris: No, actually it's a noun. But it's not spelled right.

actually: 实际上noun: 名词

不是,是个名词。但是字写错了。

-Christopher: Is "fuck" spelled right?

操写对了吗?

-Chris: Yeah, that's spelled right. But that's not part of the motto, so you're not supposed to learn that.

motto: 箴言

对,那个写的对。但是标语里没这词,所以别学。

That's

an adult word to show anger and other things. But just don't use that one, okay?

那词是大人用来表达他们愤怒之类的,别用那词,好吗?

-Christopher: Okay.

好的。

-Chris: What's that say on the back of your bag?

你书包背后写的是什么?

-Christopher: My nickname. We pick nicknames.

nickname: 绰号

我的绰号,我们选了绰号。

-Chris: Oh, yeah? What's it say?

噢,你选的是什么?

-Christopher: "Hot Rod." Did you have a nickname?

“改装高速车”你有绰号吗?

-Chris: Yep.

有啊。

-Christopher: what?

是什么?

-Chris: "Ten-Gallon Head."

gallon: 加仑

无-敌-大-头。

-Christopher: What’s that?

什么意思?

-Chris: I grew up in Louisiana, near Texas. Everybody wears cowboy hats. And a ten-gallors a big hat.

cowboy: 牛仔

我在德克萨斯州附近的路易斯安那长大,那儿的人都戴牛仔帽那种“10加仑”牛仔帽(宽边软顶牛仔帽,因分量重而得名)

I was smart back then, so they called me T en-Gallon Head.

我小时候很聪明,所以大家都叫我“无-敌-大-头”。

-Christopher: Hoss wears that hat.

Hoss也戴那种牛仔帽。

-Chris: Hoss?

Hoss?

-Christopher: Hoss Can'twright on Bonanza.

Hoss Can'twright “Bonanza的牛仔”里面的牛仔。

-Chris: How do you know Bonanza?

你从哪知道“Bonanza的牛仔”的?

-Christopher: We watch it at Mrs. Chu's.

在朱太太家看的。

-Chris: You watch Bonanza at daycare?

daycare: 日间照管儿童

你在幼儿园看“Bonanza的牛仔”?

-Christopher: Yeah.

是啊。

-Chris: When? When do you watch it? After snack? After your nap?

snack: 吃点心nap: 小睡

是什么时候看的?午餐后还是午觉后?

-Christopher: After love Boat. I made my list for my birthday.

看完“爱之船”之后看的,我生日礼物列好了。

-Chris: Yeah, what'd you put on there?

你都写了什么?

-Christopher: A basketball or an ant farm.

ant: 蚂蚁

篮球,或者“蚂蚁农场”。(“蚂蚁农场”为一种智趣游戏)

-Chris: He says he's been watching TV.

他说他一直在看电视。

-Mrs. Chu: Oh, little TV for history.

是啊,是看了些电视,都是历史片。

-Chris: Love Boat?

爱之船也是吗?

-Mrs. Chu: For history. Navy.

是啊,是关于海军历史的。

-Chris: That's not the Navy. I mean, he could watch television at home.

那可不是海军历史片,我的意思是,他可以在家看电视。

We're paying you $ 150 a month

. If he's gonna be sitting around...watching TV all day, we're taking him out of here.

我们每月付150块给你,要是他就坐在这儿…一直看电视的话,我们就带他走。

-Mrs. Chu: Go pay more at other daycare if you don't like Navy TV. You late pay anyway. You complain. I complain.

complain: 抱怨

你要是不喜欢海军片的话,就多花钱去别家幼儿园好了,反正你总是晚付钱。你抱怨,我还抱怨呢。

-Chris: Can you at least put the dog upstairs in your room or something?

upstairs: 楼上的

那能不能把狗带到楼上去?关到你房间或什么地方?

-Mrs. Chu: Bye.

再见。

-Chris: I was waiting for Witter Resource head Jay Twistl...whose name sounded so delightful, like he'd give me a job and a hug?

delightful: 令人愉悦的

我在等Witter公司人事部主管Jay Twistle,他的名字听起来很可爱就好像他会给我份工作,外加一个拥抱。

I just had to show him I was good with numbers and good with people. Morning, Mr. Twistle.

而我所要做的,就是让他知道,我精通数字,而且懂得待人之道,早上好,Twistle先生。

-Twistle: Good morning.

早上好。

-Chris: Mr. Twistle, Chris Gardner.

Twistle先生,我是Chris Gardner。

-Twistle: Hi.

你好。

-Chris: I wanted to drop this off personally and make your acquaintance.

drop: 放下acquaintance: 相识

我得在你进去之前亲自把这个交给您和您认识一下。

I thought I'd catch you on the way in. I'd love the opportunity to discuss...what may seem like weaknesses on my application.

weakness: 软弱application: 申请

希望有机会能和您坐下聊聊我申请表上看起来比较薄弱的几点。

-Twistle: We'll start with this, and we'll call you if we wanna sit down.

好的,我们要先看下你的申请表,Chris 需要面试的话会通知你的。

-Chris: Yes, sir. You have a great day.

好的,先生,祝您愉快。

-Twistle: You too.

你也是。

-Chris: Hey, yeah, how you doing? This is Chris Gardner calling for Dr. Delsey. Yeah, I'm running a little late for a sales call.

嗨,你好,我是Chris Gardner 找Delsey.医生,我要晚一点才能来推销。

I was wondering if... Yeah, Osteo National. Right. We can still...? Half an hour? Yes. Beautiful. Beautiful. Thank you, thank you.

wonder: 猜想

能不能…对,Osteo公司,对,我们能不能…半小时后?太好了,没问题,谢谢。

Hey! Hey! Hey! This part of my life... Wait! ...this part here... ...it' called "Running." Hey! Hey! Wait! Hey! Wait!

嘿!嘿!嘿!我人生的这部分,眼前的这部分叫做“追赶”。嘿!嘿!等一下!嘿!

等一下!

That was my stolen machine. Unless she was with a guy who sold them too.

unless: 除非

那是我被偷的仪器,除非跟她在一起的那家伙也是做这行的。

Which was unlikely ...because I was the only one selling them in the Bay Area.

unlikely: 不大可能发生的

不过可能性不大,因为旧金山海湾地区,销售此仪器的仅我一家。

I spent our entire life savings on these things. It was such a revolutionary machine. Can you feel it, baby?

entire: 全部的saving: 存款revolutionary: 革命的

我把所有的积蓄都押在这上面了,押在这个革命性的仪器上了。亲爱的,你感觉到了吗?

-Linda: Oh, yeah. You got me doing all the work.

当然了,你在叫我一个人忙活。

-Chris: What I didn't know is that doctors and hospitals...would consider them unnecessary luxuries.

unnecessary: 不必要的luxury: 奢侈

但是我没想到,医院的医生们会认为它是没用的奢侈品。

I even asked the landlord to take a picture. So if I lost one, it was like losing a month' groceries. landlord: 房东grocery: (美国俚语)必需之物

我甚至请房东给我们照了相,所以丢了一台仪器就意味着损失了一个月的伙食。

Hey, hey! Wait! Wait! Hey, get back here!

嘿!嘿!等一下,等一下!嘿!回来!

-Woman: Hey, man, l...

嘿,老兄,我…

-ManA: Who's he?

他是谁?

-ManB: He's that guy...

就是那个…

-Christopher: Did you forget?

你忘了吗?

-Chris: Forget what?

忘了什么?

-Christopher: You're not supposed to have any of those.

你不该带这东西回家的。

-Chris: Yeah, I know.

是的,我知道。

-Christopher: You have two now.

但你现在却有2台。

-Chris: Hey.

嘿。

-Christopher: Hey, Mom.

嘿,妈。

-Chris: One, two, three!

1,2,3。

-Christopher: That's a basketball!

是个篮球!

-Chris: Hey, hey. What do you mean? You don't know that that's a basketball.

嗨,什么意思?谁说这是篮球啊?

This could be an ant farm. This could be a microscope or anything.

microscope: 显微镜

有可能是“蚂蚁农场”也可能是显微镜或别的什么。

-Christopher: No, it's not.

不,不是的。

-Chris: There, there. All right, come on. Open him up. Open him up. That paper's a little heavy, huh?

拿不到了吧。好吧,快打开吧。纸有点厚,是吗?

-Christopher: Yeah, but I got it.

是的,但是我能打开。

-Chris: You should've seen me out there today. Somebody stole a scanner. I had to run the old girl dow

n...

scanner: 扫描机

你今天真应该在场的,有个女孩偷了我的扫描仪,我就一直追她…

-Linda: Whatever.

随便吧。

-Chris: What?

什么?

-Linda: Whatever, Chris.

随便怎么着吧,Chris。

-Chris: What the hell you got attitude about? "Whatever" what?

attitude: 态度

你这是什么态度?随便什么?

-Linda: Every day's got some damn story.

每天都他妈的有逸闻。

-Chris: Hey, Roy. Roy! Can you beat your little rug when nobody's out here? There's dust and shit all over.

beat: 打rug: 毯子dust: 灰尘

嘿!Roy!Roy!能不能没人的时候再拍毯子?尘土飞扬的。

-Roy: I'm trying to keep a clean house.

我只是在打扫房间…

-Chris: Hey, wait a second. Look, Linda, relax. We're gonna come out of this. Everything is gonna be fine, all right?

come out of: 从…出来

嗨,等一下。听我说,Linda,放松,我们会渡过难关的,一切都会好起来的,好吗?

-Linda: You said that before, when I got pregnant. "It’ll be fine."

pregnant: 怀孕的

你以前就这么说过,我怀孕的时候,你就说:“一切都会好起来的”。

-Chris: So you don't trust me now?

这么说你不再相信我了?

-Linda: Whatever. I don't care.

随便,我不在乎。

-Twistle: T axi!

出租!

-Chris: Mr. Twistle.

Twistle先生。

-Twistle: Yeah, hi.

是的。

-Chris: Hi. Chris Gardner.

你好,我是Chris Gardner。

-Twistle: Yeah, hi. Listen. What can I do for you?

你好,有什么事吗?

-Chris: I submitted an application for the intern program about a month ago...and I would just love to sit with you briefly...

submit: 递交intern: 实习生briefly: 简短的

我一个月前交了份实习申请表,我想找机会和您坐下来简单谈谈…

-Twistle: Listen, I'm going to Noe Valley, Chris. T ake care of yourself.

听着,我要赶去诺亚谷,Chris你保重。

-Chris: Mr. Twistle. Actually, I'm on my way to Noe Valley also. How about we share a ride? Twistle先生,我正好也要去诺亚谷,我搭个车怎么样?

-Twistle: All right, get in.

好吧,上车吧。

-Chris: All right. So when I was in the Navy, I worked for a doctor...who loved to play golf, hours every day...

好的,我在海军服役时为一个医生工作,他很喜欢高尔夫,每天都要花很多时间在那上面。

And I would actually perform medical procedures...when he'd leave me in the office. actually: 实际上perform: 执行procedure: 手续

我还得替他处理医疗事务,当他不在的时候。

So I'm used

to being in a position where I have to make decisions and... Mr. Twistle, listen. This is a very important...

position: 立场

我习惯于做出抉择,而且…Twistle先生,听我说,这很重要。

-Twistle: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. This thing's impossible.

对不起,对不起,这东西不可能拼出来的。

-Chris: I can do it.

我可以。

-Twistle: No, you can't. No one can. That's bullshit

bullshit: 胡说

你不行,没人可以的。不可能的。

-Chris: No, I'm pretty sure I can do it.

我确定我能行的。

-Twistle: No, you can't.

你不行。

-Chris: Let me see it. Give it here. Oh, yeah. Oh, wow, you really messed it up.

mess up: 混乱

让我看看,给我。哦,你真是拼的一团糟啊。

-Twistle: Sorry.

不好意思。

-Chris: It looks like it works around a swivel, so the center pieces never move. So if it's yellow in the center, that's the yellow side.

swivel: (使)旋转

看起来这些是围绕一个轴心转动,中间的这部分保持不动,所以说如果中间那片是黄色这面就应该是黄色的。

If it's red in the center, that's the red side.

如果中间那片是红色,那么这面就应该是红色的。

-Twistle: Okay.

好的。

-Chris: So... you can slow down.

slow down: 放慢速度

开慢点吧。

-Twistle: Listen, we can drive around all day. I don't believe you can do this.

我们可以就这么一直开下去,我就不信你能拼出来。

-Chris: Yeah, I can.

我可以的。

-Twistle: No, you can't.

不,你不成。

-Chris: Yes, I can.

我可以的。

-Twistle: No, you can't. I'm telling you, no one can.

不,你不成。不,你不行,没人可以的。

-Chris: See? That's all I ever do.

看到没?我就只能到这步了。

-Twistle: You almost have this side. Holy cow. You almost had that one.

holy: 圣人

那面快拼出来了。哦,你拼出来了。哦,那面也快拼出来了。

-Chris: I'm gonna get it.

我能全部拼出来的。

-Twistle: Look at that. You're almost there.

真厉害啊,快好了。

-Driver: 17.10.

17块1毛。

-Twistle: This is me. Good job. Goodbye.

我到了,拼得不错,再见。

-Chris: Yeah. I'll see you soon.

回头见。

-Driver: Where are you going, sir? Excuse me, sir. Where are you going, please?

先生,你要去哪里?对不起,先生?你要去哪里?

-Chris: Two... A couple of blocks. Just flip around.

block: 街区flip: 转动

呃…2个…几个街区就到,调下头。

-Driver: Okay. Hey!

Stop it! Hey! Where are you going? Come here!

好的。嘿,停下!你到哪儿去?回来!

-Chris: No! No, no, no!

不!不,不,不!

-Driver: You asshole, give me my money! Give me my money.

asshole: 可恶的家伙

你这缺德鬼,给我钱,给我钱!

-Chris: Please stop. Please, please, please!

别,别这样!别这样!

-Driver: Son of a bitch. Please! He should've paid you! Come here!

混蛋!他应该付钱,他应该给你钱的!别跑!

-Chris: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

对不起,抱歉。对不起。

-Driver: I'll kick your ass!

kick: 踢

我会教训你的!

-Chris: I'm sorry!

对不起。

-Driver: Idiot. I'll get you! I'm going to kill you! I'm going to kill you! Hey! Stop it, you son of a bitch! Stop him! Stop him!

idiot: 白痴

混蛋!我会逮到你的!我要宰了你!我要宰了你!嘿!停下!你这个王八蛋!停下…停下…

-Man: The doors are closing. Please stand clear of the doors.

车门即将关闭,请远离车门。

-Chris: No! No! No! No!

不,不,不!不!

-Linda: Hello?

喂?

-Chris: Hey, yeah. Sorry I couldn't make it home on time.

嗨,对不起,我没能及时赶回家。

-Linda: Chris, I missed my shift.

shift: 接班

Chris,我误了班。

-Chris: Yeah, I know. I'm sorry about that. Look, I'm on my way right now. Are you all right with Christopher?

是,我知道,对不起。我现在就在回家路上,你陪着Christopher行吗?

-Linda: I'm leaving. Chris, I'm leaving.

我要走了,Chris,我要离开这个家。

-Chris: What?

什么?

-Linda: Did you hear what I said? I have my things together, and I'm taking our son...and we're gonna leave now.

你听到我说的了吗?我已经收拾好东西,我要带上儿子,我们现在就走。

I'm gonna put the phone down.

我要把电话挂了。

-Chris: Linda, wait a minute. Hold it, hold...

Linda,等下。

-Linda: I'm going to leave. We are leaving.

我们要走了,我们走了。

-Chris: It was right then that I started thinking about Thomas Jefferson...the Declaration of Independence.

declaration: 宣言independence: 独立

那一刻,我想起了Thomas Jefferson,想起了“独立宣言”。

And the part about our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And I remember thinking:

liberty: 自由pursuit: 追求

想起了其中对生存权,自由权,以及追求幸福权利的描写。我一直在想。

How did he know to put the "pursuit" part in there? That maybe happiness is something that we can only pursue.

他是怎么知道要把“追求幸

福”那部分放进去的?也许幸福是只能去追求。

And maybe we can actually never have it...no matter what. How did he know that?

但是却永远也追求不到,无论如何也追求不到的。他究竟是怎么知道的?

Linda. Linda. Hello?

Linda,Linda,喂?

-Twistle: Chris.

Chris吗?

-Chris: Who is this?

哪位?

-Twistle: Jay Twistle.

Jay Twistle。

-Chris: Hey.

嘿。

-Twistle: Dean Witter.

Dean Witter公司的。

-Chris: Yeah, of course. How are you?

对…你好吗?

-Twistle: I'm fine. Listen, do you still wanna come in and talk?

我很好,听着,你还想过来聊聊吗?

-Chris: Yes, sir. Absolutely.

absolutely: 当然是

是的,先生,当然了。

-Twistle: I'll tell you what. Come on by day after tomorrow, in the morning.

好的,你后天早上来一下。

We're interviewing for the internships. You got a pen and paper?

interviewing: 面试internship: 实习生身份

我们要面试实习生,你有纸笔吗?

-Chris: Yes. Yes, I do. Hold on one second.

我有,呃…稍等下。

-Twistle: All right. Hello? Chris?

好的。喂,Chris?

-Chris: Go ahead. I have one.

说吧,我找到了。

-Twistle: Write this number down so you can call my secretary, Janice. She can give you all the specifics.

secretary: 秘书specifics: 细节

记下这个号码,打给我秘书Janice,她会告诉你具体事宜的。

-Chris: Yep.

好的。

-Twistle: Okay, 415.

好的,415。

-Chris: 415.

415。

-Twistle: 864

864。

-Chris: 864

864。

-Twistle: 256

256。

-Chris: 256

256。

-Twistle: Yeah, extension 4796.

对,转4796。

4796。

-Twistle: Right. Call her tomorrow.

对,明天就打吧。

-Chris: Yes, sir. 415-864-0256.

好的,先生,415-846-0256。

-Twistle: Okay, buddy.

对,兄弟。

-Chris: All right, yes. Thank you very much.

好的,记住了,太感谢你了。

-Twistle: We'll see you soon.

回头见。

-Chris: 864-0256. 4796. Janice.

864-02564796,Janice。

-Wayne: Chris.

Chris。

-Chris: Hey. Did you...? Have you seen Linda and Christopher?

嗨,看到Linda和Christopher了吗?

-Wayne: No. you catch the game last night?

没有,昨晚那场比赛看了没?

-Chris: No, no.

没,没看。

-Wayne: You didn't see that, 118, 1...?

你没看?118,1?

-Chris: Excuse me; did Linda and Christopher come in here?

问一下,Linda和Christopher来过吗?

-Wayne: No, I haven't seen them. 119-120. Double overtime. Moons hits a three-pointer at 17 seconds left.

overtime: 额外的时间hit: 命中

没有,我没看到他们119比120,双加时赛。在还有17秒结束时,投了个三分。

-Chris: Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. Wayne ,can’t talk to you about numbers right now. Wayne,Wayne,现在不能和你谈数字。

-Wayne: What's your problem with numbers?

为什么?

-Chris: 864-2... And you owe me money.

864-2…你欠我钱。

-Wayne: Yeah.

没错。

-Chris: You owe me $ 14.

欠我14块。

-Wayne: I'm gonna get that to you.

我会给你的。

-Chris: I need my money. I need my money.

-Wayne: Fourteen’s a number.

14也是数字啊。

-Chris: Hey, don't you ever take my son away from me again. You hear me?

嘿,别再把我儿子从我身边带走了,你听到没?

-Linda: Leave me alone!

离我远点!

-Chris: Don't take my son away from me again. Do you understand what I'm saying to you?

别再把我儿子从我身边带走!你听到我的话了吗?

Don't you walk away from me when I'm talking to you? Do you hear me? Do you wanna leave? 别就这么走开!我在和你说话呢!听到我的话了吗?你想离开吗?

-Linda: Yeah.

没错。

-Chris: You wanna leave?

你想离开吗?

-Linda: Yes, I want to leave!

是的!我想离开!

-Chris: Get the hell out of here, then, Linda. Get the hell out of here. Christopher's staying with me. 那就快走吧,Linda,快滚吧!Christopher和我在一起!

-Linda: You're the one that dragged us down. You hear me?

drag down: 拖垮

是你把我们搞成这样的,你听到了没?

-Chris: You are so weak.

你太不坚强了!

-Linda: No. I am not happy anymore. I'm just not happy!

不,我不再幸福,不再觉得幸福了!

-Chris: Then go get happy, Linda! Just go get happy. But Christopher's living with me.

那就去找幸福啊,Linda!去找幸福吧!但是Christopher要跟我过!

-Linda: Stop!

闭嘴。

-Chris: Did you hear what I said? Christopher's living with me! Hey. Come on, let's go. How you doing, Mrs. Chu?

听到了吗?Christopher和我在一起!嘿,来,我们走了。你好,朱太太。

-Mrs. Chu: Hi.

你好。

-Christopher: Where's Mom?

妈妈呢?

-Chris: Look, just gets your stuff.

去拿你的东西。

-Christopher: But she told me she was coming to pick me up today.

pick up: 中途把…带走

她说今天要来接我的。

-Chris: Yeah, I know. I t

alked to Mom earlier. Everything's fine, okay?

相关主题
相关文档
最新文档