Unit 1 Changesin the Way We Live
ContentQuestions ( P10 )
1. 1 Write and live on a farm.
2. 2 Because they grow nearly all of their fruitsand vegetables. They have enough eggs,honey and
wood. They are very close tonature and can enjoy the beautiful scenery. Besides, they can go skiing and skating in winter.
3. 3 No. Sometimes the good life can get pretty tough.
4. 4 They were buried under five feet of snow fromDecember through March.
5. 5 When the first spring came, it brought twofloods. The second flood refers to thegood harvest
in the growing season.
6. 6 He decided to quit his job and start tofreelance.
7. 7 He has to crawl into black bear dens for “SportsIllustrated”, hitch up dogsled racing teams
for “Smithsonian” magazine, check out the LakeChamplain “monster” for “Science Digest”, and canoe through the Boundary WatersWilderness area of Minnesota for “Destinations”.
8. 8 As for insurance, they have only bought a poorman’s major-medical policy and the policy on
their two cars.
9. 9 They cut back their expenses withoutappreciably lowering their standard of living. For
example, they patronize local restaurants instead of more expensiveplaces in the city. They still attendthe opera and ballet but only a few times a year. They eat less meat, drink cheaper wine and seefewer movies.
10. 10 A tolerance for solitude and lots of energy.
11. 11 They will leave with a feeling of sorrow butalso with a sense of pride at what they have
been able to accomplish.
12. 12 They chose to live in the country because theywant to improve the quality of their lives.
Yes, they have finally realized their dreams.
TextOrganization ( P11 )
Part One (paragraphs 1—3) The writer views his life in the country as aself-reliant and satisfying
Part Two (paragraphs 4—7 ) Life in the country is good yet sometimesvery hard.
Part Three (paragraphs 8—11) After quitting his job, thewriter’s income was reduced, but he and
his family were able to manage to getby.
Part Four (paragraphs 12—15 ) A tolerance for solitudeand a lot of energy have made it possible
for the family to enjoy their life inthe country.
Happy Moments and Events
1) growing nearly all their fruitsand vegetables