A. Fill in the blanks with the words given below. Change the form where necessary.
internal ditch fabulous renovate
plaster amateur blunder instinct
1. The police _blundered___ badly by arresting the wrong man.
2. The house was severely destroyed, so the couple spent thousands of dollars _renovating____ it.
3. The pilot was forced to _ditch___ the jet plane in the Gulf because of the hijacking.
4. Unlike the Satellite, it has no __internal____ battery, though it will accept external batteries made for the iPad.
5. The basis for training relies on the dog’s natural __instinct____ to hunt.
6. The __plaster___ was beginning to fall from the walls.
7. During each war the monopoly capitalists amassed ___fabulous____ wealth.
8. At college he studied English and did _amateur______ boxing
B. Fill in the blanks with the expressions given below. Change the form where necessary.
down to call in beat up
wind up trial and error at all costs
Don’t _b eat___ yourself up__ over something that you have no control over.
They decided to _call in____ a doctor because the child was not any better.
Ultimately, he said, the issue came ___down to __a dispute between the two countries.
I always said he would _ wind up ____ in jail.
Growth is a process of __ trial and error _________. You can learn as much from failure as you can from success. Maybe more.
The bridge must be repaired within three days __ at all costs ____.
The house was badly damaged in the earthquake, and Tom spent a lot of money renovating it.
As Steve Jobs noted, trial and error has always been part of the Apple model.
If you are idling around all the time, what will you wind up with? Of course, failure.
Don’t make a blunder—it is a critical time now, and caution will never be wrong.
You shouldn’t beat yourself up; after all, you are a green hand.
B. For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to translate a passage from Chinese into English.
中国人通常在屋子里挂灯笼过元宵(the Lantern Festival)。自制纸灯笼只需要彩色硬纸、剪刀和胶水(construction paper, scissors and glue)。首先,将一张长方形的(rectangular) 纸对折,从对折线往开口处,每隔4厘米就剪开一直线。每次不要剪到底,留边约2厘米。然后打开硬纸,将纸卷成圆筒状(cylinder),接着在两条短边上涂好胶水后把它们黏在一起。最后,剪下长12厘米、宽1厘米的一硬纸条做灯笼柄,并把剪好的纸条黏在灯笼上端的内沿上。Chinese people always celebrate the Lantern Festival by hanging up Chinese lanterns in the house. Construction paper, scissors and glue are all things you need for DIY of a paper lantern. First, fold a rectangular piece of paper in half, and cut along the folded edge every 4 cm. Don’t cut all the way to the edge of the paper, leaving about 2 cm at the top of each cut. Next, unfold the paper,